Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Prayer Form for Lent

Cross: I will arise and go to my father, and I will say to him, “Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you; I am no longer worthy to be called your child.”   Luke 15:18-19

Invitatory: Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit; As it was in the beginning, is now, and will be forever.   Amen.

Cruciform: Now, O Lord, I bend the knee of my heart, *
   and make my appeal, sure of your gracious goodness.
I have sinned, O Lord, I have sinned, *
   and I know my wickedness only too well.
Therefore I make this prayer to you: *
   Forgive me, Lord, forgive me.   Prayer of Manasseh 11-13

        or the entire Prayer of Manasseh (BCP p. 90), or the following

Open my lips, O Lord, *
   and my mouth shall proclaim your praise.
Had you desired it, I would have offered sacrifice, *
   but you take no delight in burnt offerings.
The sacrifice of God is a troubled spirit; *
   a broken and contrite heart,
   O God, you will not despise.   Psalm 150: 16-18

Weeks: Create in me a clean heart, O God, *
   and renew a right spirit within me.   Psalm 50: 11

Dismissary: Rend your hearts and not your garments. Return to the Lord your God, for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love, and repents of evil.   Joel 2:13

Cross: Our Father, who art in heaven… Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment